Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Paths Through Life

Mountain pathways cut out through human
tenacity. Would it be there if it were up to me?
Throughout life we talk a lot about roads—the paths of our lives—either physical roads or the direction we follow in life. In the scriptures people are always moving from one place to another either to conquer a nation or to visit a friend. Jesus Himself said “I am the Way" (John 14:6).

In Peru’s jungle the transportation infrastructure, or in many areas the lack thereof, makes getting from one place to another rather difficult. Where there are highways carved into the amazingly diverse landscape we often are in awe that engineers had the vision and the courage to lay their course and cut them through. Last week Dena and I drove from Lima across the Andes Mountains, crossing the divide at nearly 16,000 feet. At every turn of the highway I wanted to comment:

Indigenous settlement on the Tambo where
everyone lives off the land.
1. How did they even plot the course; who decided where the road would go?
2. How did they cut this shelf on the mountain?
3. How did people even get through here to settle the country in the first place?
4. How did they plant the electrical towers and hang the endless cables that crisscross the mountains?
And so goes the marveling at the feats of human endeavor.

Boats are often overloaded by operators who
put money ahead of safety.
When we had finished crossing the mountains, we eventually found ourselves on a boat overloaded with passengers on the Tambo River, journeying for eight hours to the city of Atalaya. Boat operators on the Tambo like to dangerously squeeze in as many passengers as they can. The result is a boat built for 30 that is carrying 75. Every movement of the tiller resulted in a swaying to the right or to the left and shrieks of terror from passengers. Five minutes after leaving the port, Dena and I looked at each other and asked whether we’d made a mistake to get on board. In places the river bottom is strewn with large boulders which kick up rapids of nearly two feet in height. Water pitched over the side of the boat to more shrieks from passengers. The press of the onboard crowd prevented us from moving either feet or rump and the long hours seemed endless. At times the rain fell and blew across the boat while a large plastic sheet was unrolled form the bow toward the stern and everyone hunkered down beneath it.



Impressive waterfall
over the Tambo River.
The agony of the ride was tempered by scenery that took one’s breath away. Again, we marveled at God’s creation and thanked Him for the opportunity to see it. A nice lawn chair on a strong deck with some burgers grilling would have been more pleasant, but the sight of waterfalls gushing from rock cliffs 500 feet above the jungle defies description.

Makeshift ferry across the Perene
carried our taxi and us.
These courses through the wild countryside of Peru were found and established over time by men and women who desired to get from point A to point B. In their need and tenacity they purposed in their hearts and they set their minds on the goal and they found a way. Some lost their lives in the process and the rest of us, centuries later in some cases, reap the benefits.

Such musing causes me to do a check on my own tenacity and perseverance. Do I have what it takes to plot a difficult course and get there, even though the way is difficult and fraught with danger or obstacles?

“I am the Way…” I think Jesus’ intention here was both to assure us that He IS the ONLY way to the Father and to teach us that through Him I CAN! Philippians 4:13 affirms that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” The road through and over the mountains of my life is often difficult. What I try to do in my own strength results in failure. His strength leads me to success. It’s a simple truth so why is it so difficult to live out? Those Spanish explorers and later engineers who found their way across mountain peaks and valleys did so empowered by human will. God has implanted in me something infinitely more powerful if I tap into it. It’s the force of my human will that usually keeps me from it. How powerful yet how shallow this will of mine!
Heavenly Father, please give me the will to conquer my will and the strength of your Spirit to do so. You are the Way that leads to life and to daily victory as I travel the rough and watery paths through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment